TOBIN Consulting Engineers secure planning permission for the construction of Kilkenny’s first Solar Farm
TOBIN Consulting Engineers (TOBIN) have secured planning permission for the construction of Kilkenny’s first solar farm. The Elgin Energy Services Ltd. (Elgin Energy) project in Goresbridge, County Kilkenny has been granted full planning permission by Kilkenny Co. Co. and has also accepted a grid connection offer from the ESB.
It is a welcome and timely boost for the region. The Solar Farm sector has been a key area of further growth for TOBIN Consulting Engineers in recent times with a large number of additional projects currently awaiting planning decisions across the country. Experienced TOBIN scientists and engineers contributed to the Goresbridge application and worked with Elgin Energy to design the most environmentally sensitive solar farm layout, which formed the basis for the overall assessment of the proposed development.
The application involved the preparation of a number of statutory planning documents and supporting environmental and engineering reports including the following:
- A Planning Application Form, Public Newspaper and Site Notices and statutory Planning Application Drawings
- Appropriate Assessment Screening Statement
- A comprehensive Planning and Environmental Report and associated Figures and Appendices, with detailed
- Ecological Assessment;
- Flood Risk Analysis;
- Traffic Impact Assessment;
- Hydro(geo)logical Review;
- Archaeological Assessment;
- Noise and EMF Assessment, and
- Co-ordination of specialist Landscape and Glint and Glare Studies.
Each assessment was undertaken following a site visit by the relevant specialist to identify and assess any potential environmental and engineering constraints at the location of the Goresbridge Solar Farm. The assessments were also informed by direct consultation with Kilkenny County Council during the pre-planning scoping of the application and the Planning and Environmental Report.